Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Can't buy me lunch


After an impromptu three day weekend from the ole millstone that is the daily grind of the office, I enjoyed the relaxed pleasure of loafing about the flat, drawing, playing guitar, listening to records and drinking some recently acquired hippie type fruity tea.

I also acquired myself for the pricesly sum of £3.99 the DVD of ‘The Rutles- All You Need Is Cash’ from one of the more infuriating high street establishments. Being, as most people I know are, a Beatles aficionado, and a fan of parody (my dissertation was on this subject titled: ‘A Thin Line between Stupid and Clever’- Parody in films’ and I frequently quoted the film, despite never actually seeing it) Anyhow- at £3.99 it was too much of an opportunity for me to miss out on.

I was, to be honest, expecting the film to be a let down, but was greatly surprised just how well the film has dated, and just how well crafted Neil Innes’ song are. Obviously, there are many classic moments throughout and some beautifully observed Beatles-esque tunes (‘Go Home’ had me laughing out loud so much that I had to rewind this scene several times), however one particular song stood out- notably because I knew all the words. It didn’t take me long to remember that I had in fact heard a version of this song previously as a B-side to Teenage Fan Club’s ‘Mellowed Doubt’ CD single, and had featured it on many of the Mix Tapes I’d done for friends and family back in the mid nineties. Naturally I have since dug out this CD, which also features a version of ‘Have You ever Seen the Rain’ by
Creedence Clearwater Revival, and posted both of these tracks below:


MP3:

Teenage Fan Club- Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Teenage Fan Club- Between Us

I also moseyed on down to the local monthly flea market in an attempt to purchase some cheap vinyl. Alas, it appears that increased Market for cheap old records has resulted in a price hike and beardy student types swarming around the record boxes so much so that despite spending at least half an hour in the smoke filled church hall I was unable to get any where near the table containing ‘the better records’ from the chap I usually buy from. Instead I was left to flick through reams of bilge, but spent a tenner on two albums that caught my eye; Kid Ory’s Creole Jazz Band’s 1954 ‘Good Time Jazz’ and Original Soundtrack Recording from Carl Foreman’s Victors. Both were disappointing beyond belief, partly because they were scratched to buggery and partly because they’re just a bit rubbish really.

The Kid Ory album, was a chance purchase because I liked the cover and because on the back of the cover had two recipes for Shrimp Jambalya and Creole Gumbo FilĂ© and needless to say that I have learned not to judge a record on it’s Deep South recipes.

No comments: